August 24, 2008

Wilderness God*


It was your idea to take me out of the city,

hedging me in with thorns
so I would not - desperate -
cling to lovers who did not love.

You led me to the unknown

Out of ignorance into wilderness

where my cry no longer was suffocated
under striving, smoke, or steel.


To stand alone before you
to bow, to learn only
that it is
You alone I should fear.

To a barren place,

starving me out
of compulsion, craving
inner prisons that made me slave to

what the city needs and that upon which it feeds.

I heard an unexpected voice: a Bridegroom!
His presence, faithful, protecting, providing -
Love. speaking tenderly as if to a Bride,
a language fully alien
to my harlotry and the thirsty gods
of a land and people given over
to devouring.


Words came like the wind
A storm all around me
then they came like the rain
cleansing, restoring, remaking
and lastly like the dew
gentle covering of mercy.

You led me to the wilderness
but your love caused it to become a spring.
From former waste of pain,
Rises hope
and I lie down in arms everlasting.


*see Hosea

2 comments:

Jacob said...

I really like this one. -JM

Jacob said...

I just wrote a poem on Hosea, not too long ago. I see it a little bit differently... I was reluctant to post this but: http://www.jacobmichael.org/2008/09/hosea.html

it's from his perspective.