July 25, 2007

choice



“Choose life,” God says. “Choose life.”
“Bathe in waters deep and gold
Wash; Drink your thirsty fill,” I am told.
“Choose life,” they say- they do not know
What friend to me death has been, although
Perhaps more truly a faithful foe.
Yet faithful– an out I felt alway
If ever I had to stop the pain.
"Cast it out, child, don't be so sad -
No more despair before your God.
Who in fearful mercy extends all day
Nail-scarred hands to proud ingrates!
A Shepherd awaits you just at your side
A healing refuge in whom to abide,
If only you turn from self-exile."
I hear thee, Lord, draw me nigh.



Now, if inconstant prove I to be
No longer will I hide beneath
c
louds of obscurity.
Let me dance ~
like David through the pain,

Lifting heart, mind, and arms to praise:
God’s glory be this temple’s plane.
I’ll paint on canvases of air
Love’s great riches, His Holy care
Each finite motion, decided action
Be sword and solace: holy reflection
Of the one true Lord’s Great Decision.
Arms uplifted, gentle wrists,
Feet secure while body twists,
Leap and land --- you’re at the edge
Of something waiting to begin.
Breath of heaven pray thee I’d find
And in this earthly flight entwine.
Be ready in brightness Gospel grace
For many still need this dance’s embrace.




note... I wrote this one out of the experience of dance as healing for depression.

ejb

No comments: